Monday, February 17, 2014

Because I Can't Remember Arabic, I'll Write in French?

Last night, another student arrived here at school, from Iraq. He's a wonderfully nice guy, but his English is anything but wonderful (yet). The thing is, he's from Iraq, and I really wanted to use my Arabic, but I just realized how absolutely terrible my Arabic is! It's strange, to know that I knew things at one time, and now simply have no idea. Want to know how extreme this is? I used to be able to write pages and pages in Arabic, and now the only word I can seem to pull out of my head is "al-umam al-muta7eda" (United Nations).

My French is wonderful, and I'm quite proud of my siSwati, but after three years of no use, my Arabic is not in the state that I wish it would be in. Strange, considering all the effort that the State Department put into trying to convince me to maintain my Arabic after NSLI-Y, but it just didn't happen. Now, though, I really want to fix it in university. Scratch that - I will definitely be fixing it in university. Insha'allah.

And now, to remind myself that all of languages are not absolutely terrible, I have (loosely, because I'm tired and my brain isn't fully functioning this early in the morning) translated this post in French, as seen below.

La nuit dernière, un autre étudiant est arrivé ici à l'école, d'Iraq. Il est absolument gentil, mais son anglais n'est pas (encore) aussi gentil. Donc, il vient d'Iraq, et j'ai vraiment voulu utiliser mon arabe, mais j'ai réalisé comment pas terrible mon arabe était devenu. C'est bizarre, à savoir que j’aie su les choses, il était une fois, et maintenant je n’ai aucune idée. Voulez-vous savoir comment extrême est-il? J'avais pu écrire des pages et des pages d'arabe, et maintenant le seul mot qui je peux souvenir est "al-umam al-muta7eda" (les Nations-Unis).

Mon anglais est super, et je suis vraiment contente avec siSwati, mais après trois ans sans l'utiliser, mon arabe n'est pas dans l'état que je voulais. Bizarre, en considérant tout l'effort fait par le gouvernement des Etats-Unis pour me convaincre de continuer avec l'arabe après mes études en Jordanie avec NSLI-Y. Mais, c'est la vie. Maintenant, alors, je voudrais l'étudier à l'université. Attends, je suis sure que je vais l'étudier a l'université. Insha'allah.

Et maintenant, pour me souvenir que tous mes langues ne sont pas absolument terrible, j'ai (peut-être, à cause des problèmes dans le cerveau qui existe à cette heure du matin) traduit ce blog en anglais, comme vous pouvez voir en haute.

No comments:

Post a Comment