Friday, January 13, 2012

Now, nothing left to do but wait!

Finals are over, NSLI-Y application is submitted, UWC application is submitted, and now there's nothing left to do but wait! Waiting for grades to come out, my NSLI-Y interview next weekend, to hear whether or not I got an interview for UWC, and so on. In the meantime, I've been essentially switching between looking up news articles for my speech tournament Saturday (extemporaneous speaking, about current events), and reading/watching everything I can find about UWCs on the internet. So here's what's up with my top choice UWC, Waterford Kamhlaba in Swaziland.

This was my first choice on my application. It's located near Mbabane, the capital city, a city of about 95,000 people. There are about 600 students there, ages 11-20, because along with the IB program (the one I'm applying for) they had a younger school as well.

Here are the top three things I like about the school:
1. The community service projects, which are amazing. I don't feel like I am qualified to write anything about them, because I haven't gone to the school yet and haven't done them, but this makes me really want to go to this school, just to be able to participate.(Especially because I want to become a doctor/nurse later to fight HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other epidemics).
2. They have some pretty awesome course offerings, including siSwati language and Peace and Conflict Studies.
3. It's in such a different place than here, which I suppose is obvious, but still. The chance to go to high school in a country like Swaziland is so cool, especially when it's with so many people of different cultures and nationalities.

My next three choices were the Mahindra UWC in India, the Red Cross Nordic UWC in Norway, and the UWC of the Adriatic in Italy. I'm so excited about all of this, I literally can't wait to hear something back.

No comments:

Post a Comment