Saturday, December 15, 2012

Tsaminmina zangawela, my friends are wonderful!

Yesterday, my friend said she was having a sleepover, just to hang out, and asked if I wanted to come. I said sure, and said I'd probably be there around 8:00, but I had basketball band, so I didn't really know.

I left the basketball game at 8:30. And then I went home and showered, and finally got to her house around 9:15 or 9:30.

Whoops.

So, I walk up to the door and knock. I hear her little sister yell, "MEGHAN! DIANA'S HERE!" Pretty standard greeting, and I can hear the dog barking inside as my friend comes to open the door for me.

I ditch my shoes right inside the door, and we head down into the basement. A few of my friends are just sitting down there, and they jokingly start to lecture me about how I should try to be on time.

I say, "Agh, I'm sorry I had basketball band and -"

But before I finished, a bunch of my other friends jump out from behind the couches and from doorways, yelling "SURPRISE!" Turns out, it wasn't some random hanging out sleepover, but a "good-bye-have-a-good-time-in-Africa-going-away-we-will-miss-you" party.

My friends are pretty awesome. I, on the other hand, was so surprised that I just stood there with my mouth open for a little bit, not sure what to make of all their awesomeness. They had made a big sign that said "Have fun in Africa!" on which my one friend had drawn a lion, a giraffe, and an elephant. They got a cake with "Waka Waka - it's time for Africa!" written on it, and a little plastic monkey stuck in the top.

By that point, I was shocked and embarrassed that I was late, and so happy to have such thoughtful friends, but that wasn't it. They said they got me a going-away present, and I was like "NO! WHY DID YOU GET ME A PRESENT?"

But, it was the best present ever. It was a sort of scrapbook, with a bunch of pages in the front of pictures all the way back through elementary school. That was nice, but then, when I turned the page, there were letters. Lots, lots, lots of letters. They had gone back to all my elementary, junior high, and high school teachers, and asked for them to write me letters. There was a letter in there from my fifth grade teacher, my old choir director, my eighth grade history teacher, my freshman English teacher, my US history teacher, my Mock Trial coach, my old band director, and many others. And then they had included a bunch of pages of letters from all our friends. There are pages, and pages, and pages of wonderful people having written wonderful things. I don't usually cry (that's an absolute lie), but this was a tear-jerker of a book. It literally is the best going away present I could have ever imagined.

My friends are amazing. I have no words for this, but it really means a lot to have this book. This blog post is about a million times less eloquent than these letters.

And then we proceeded to play KEMPS until the early hour of the morning.

I'm going to miss you guys.

4 school days left. 27 days until the plane leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment