Friday, March 1, 2013

A Day at WK

I usually try to blog about what’s new and exciting, but then I realized that what has become “everyday” to me is still interesting for others who don’t do this everyday. So, I figured that I might as well write a “day in the life” post. Voila – a detailed summary of my life on Thursday, February 28th, 2013. Enjoy!
06:40 – Alarm goes off. Snooze.
07:00 – I actually got out of bed and get ready for the day. Nothing interesting here; I promise, morning routines are similar in dorms all around the world.
07:10 – Breakfast! I walked down to the dining hall, where I met up with a few of my friends for breakfast. Today was cereal, tomatoes, scrambled eggs, and toast – a rare occasion. Usually they serve beans and toast. It always feels very “UWC” at breakfast to look around the table and see people from so many different countries – today, there was Swaziland, Lesotho, Uganda, Zambia, and the States.
08:00 – My first class on Thursdays is Geography. It’s a cool class – definitely interesting to take it at a school with people from so many different countries. It adds a lot of different perspectives (I often end up answering “America” questions). Our teacher is from Kenya, so it’s interesting to have an “expat” teacher as well. Although to be fair, I think all but one of my teachers are expats… anyways! Today we were discussing how migration impacts the origin and destination countries, specifically when immigrants don’t integrate into the main community. Fascinating stuff, right there.
08:40 – My favorite class… maths! We just discussed the proofs for a couple of theorems, and then had some work time. We’ve never had work time in class before, but there’s a first for everything! Doesn’t happen very often though.
09:20 – I walked across campus to the IT center, where my siSwati class is held on Thursdays. We don’t really have a room – we’re a migrant class J Anyways, we went through some vocabulary, did some translations, and turned in an essay. siSwati isn’t that hard of a language, but we go at a pretty good pace, so it’s just a lot of stuff to remember.
10:00 – Break time! Headed over to the cafeteria to grab a snack, and then over to the IT center to just hang out.
10:50 – Went over to the Mbabane Government Hospital with the director of community service at Waterford. Normally, I work on a project that takes a kid with disabilities out to parks and such, just to sit with him, so that he can see something other than the hospital walls. I like the project, but there were four WK students, and one kid, so I didn’t feel like I was doing much. I had thought of trying to do something else at the hospital, but didn’t quite know what, so we were going to see where I could help out.
11:05 – Arrived at the hospital. We miraculously avoided the string of “talk to so-and-so’s” that often happens in these situations, and got the head nurse of the pediatric ward, the head doctor, and a woman in charge of this certain room all in a circle to talk to us at the same time! We discussed running art classes for the sick kids, repainting murals, planting flowers, and that sort of thing, but I was looking to do something more related to medicine. Eventually, one of the nurses suggested that I could help with “re-hydration.” It’s this part of the hospital where dehydrated babies and children are brought in, and they need to be rehydrated. Simple enough, but there’s a lot of milk to mix and then for babies to give it to them, and you need to monitor how much they take in, and always a lot of paperwork. Not exactly medical, but it’s the closest thing I’m going to get when my highest certification is lifeguarding and CPR/AED, so I’m really excited, and I think I’ll be doing a lot more good than I was before. I never really looked forward to my old community service project, but I’m already giddy, just thinking about finally getting to start this next week! Sometimes I’m reluctant to stick my neck out, but in this case, I’m really glad that I did!
12:30 – Back to school. I went to my room really quick to grab some money and the slip from the post office, as I had a package waiting at the post office from the States, but you have to pay to pick it up. Since we’re at school, we can give the slips and the money to the office and school, and they go pick everyone’s up together.
12:40 – Lunch! Rice – if you get sick of rice easily, this might be an issue for you. Thankfully, I like rice, so we’re good!
13:20 – Double French. Our teacher is from Cameroon, and he’s pretty chilled, and there are only six of us taking it higher level, so it’s a small class. Today, we just discussed the differences between friendships and romances, which was actually pretty interesting.
14:40 – Double English. Our teacher is a rotten, old, grumpy, nasty man (that’s all proclaimed by him – I think he’s hilarious), and he was really tired, so we read a little bit of this play, and then got out early. (The play is Boesman and Lena by Athol Fugard, if anyone’s interested. It’s about the Apartheid).
16:00 – Went to the SOS Children’s Village, a local orphanage, to set up a small computer lab. I set up six computers, and starting next week my friend and I will be teaching computer classes to Form 1s (12 year olds) once a week. My friend’s excuse for not coming this week? Practicing his Swazi dancing to perform for the king next Friday. Legitimate reason, in my opinion. I’m definitely excited to start teaching classes next week though!
17:30 – Dinner! Salad and potatoes. We ate fast because there was a lightning storm, and if it gets bad, you can’t leave the building, and we didn’t want to be stuck at the dining hall. It got bad right after we left.
18:15 – Back at the hostel, worked on maths for a bit with my friend from Lesotho. The power was out for a while from the lightning, but it’s so normal here that we just grabbed the solar lamp and kept going.
18:45 – Ran back over to the library in the rain. Typical Swaziland – it was hot and sunny this afternoon.
19:00 – A spoken word poet from South Africa who ran a seminar on writing poetry. It was pretty interesting, and if nothing else was some good brain food and medicine against writer’s block for later. I jotted down some thoughts that I think will wind up as some sort of writing eventually.
20:45 – Back to hostel, just catching the tail end of “prep time,” when you’re “forced” to do your homework. As you can see, I usually find something more interesting to do, like poetry sessions.
21:00 – Chilled in the common room for a while, just chilling with the amigos.
21:30 – Bed. I go to sleep PATHETICALLY early here. But, I’d rather be awake for what goes on during the day, instead of staying up at night for no reason, and missing what happens during the day. If there’s something exciting that night, I’ll be up. Otherwise, you can find me asleep J
And that’s just a typical day in the life! Reading through this, I'm realizing how awesome it is that this is normal life here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment