Monday, March 18, 2013

Sifundzani, WWOOF, and Link Families!

(Dear lightning, please stop knocking out the internet randomly. Dear internet, thanks for finally working! Dear readers, this was written Saturday, not today).

Today has been the most absolutely fantastic day ever imaginable!

First, I woke up this morning to go to the Sifundzani High School public speaking competition, which is the only one in Swaziland, which makes it the national competition (I just need to make the comment about Sifundzani – really nice school, but “sifundzani” translates into “what are we studying?” WHICH IS A RIDICULOUS NAME FOR A SCHOOL).

Anyways, the way that speech tournaments work here in Swaziland is that everyone gives a five minute prepared speech, there’s a break, and then everyone gives a two minute impromptu speech. The difference between speech tournaments in the States, where there’s maybe a five person audience, and this tournament, where it’s a proper PUBLIC speaking tournament, is that here, you give the speech in the gym, with every single person watching. Lots and lots of people. Which is always a bit intimidating, but it went well. My impromptu was a little bit rough, which was embarrassing. After years of giving six and seven minute impromptu speeches, stumbling over a two minute speech wasn’t my shining moment. On the plus side, the practice of making friends outside when the people before you give their impromptu speeches? Same in the United States and Swaziland. I was pleasantly surprised to find myself in a circle of conversation with students from all the other high schools, talking about the same things we always talked about in the States. Good times!

The other strange thing is that everyone else wore their school uniforms, but Waterford doesn’t have a uniform, so I wore what is normal for speech tournaments in the States – a suit. I mean, dress to impress and all, but I’ve never felt so overdressed in my entire life.

Anyways, after the speeches are done, I find out that I’ve been volunteered to do a debate. I’ve never debated before. I don’t do debate. I speak. Debate? No.

Anyways, it wasn’t really a choice, so I was tossed outside with some people to prepare a debate about banning bride prices. We were “yes” to banning it, so we prepared, and then went inside.

During the debate, it was the strangest thing. I realized that most of the audience thought that bride prices were acceptable. I mean, I guess I shouldn’t say that it’s strange or whatever, but it was bizarre to realize that something I thought was a total non-issue is actually a pretty strong topic, depending on the region, the audience, and their culture.
Anyways, after the debate, they finally announced the winners. I was second place for my prepared speech, and third place for my impromptu, and second-best senior level speaker overall. All of this came with a total of E125 prize money, which is highly appreciated, after breaking my last pair of sandals the other day. E125 can buy me lots of sandals and washing powder, which are the two main things I need right now. I actually love money prizes, instead of trophies. Good choice, Sifundzani.

AND, Waterford as a team won. As in, first place. As in, we’re the new Swaziland national champions for public speaking. YEAH!

There was one other random thing that happened at this speech tournament. When I found out I was going to Swaziland, oh-so long ago, I googled Swaziland, and found this Peace Corps Volunteer’s photo blog. I followed it, and just nonchalantly looked at the pictures as I was preparing to leave. Once I was here, it occurred to me that Swaziland is a small country, and so I emailed her, saying I was an American, and would love to meet her sometime. She said she’d be in Mbabane the day of the king’s visit, but you know, the king took precedence, and so that was that. I hadn’t talked to her since.

But then, today, at the public speaking tournament, I saw this girl with brown hair, funny bangs, and green glasses that just looked too familiar. When I heard the American accent, I realized that it had to be her. It just had to be. In the end, it was, and we talked for a while. She’s really chilled. It just made me laugh that after all this time, I’d just happen to stumble into her. Small world, huh.

So, I took my E125 prize money, and got back onto the bus for Waterford. Once arriving there, I checked my email, and found an email from WWOOF South Africa. For those of you not really into the permaculture and sustainability thing, WWOOF stands for World Wide Opportunities for Organic Farmers, and it’s a sort of work-exchange where you live and work on an organic farm in exchange for room and board for the duration of your stay. Since I cannot fly to the States for the month of May, which I have off of school, I was looking at WWOOF as cheap plans, where I could actually be doing something awesome, instead of just touristing around.
So, today, after registering, and figuring out how to wire transfer a small fee to the WWOOF South Africa organization, I got the list of hosts, meaning I got the list of farms to pick from. THEY’RE SO COOL. It just made me happy to read through them. Registering is kind of a gamble, as you can’t see the hosts until after you pay, but it’s going to work out so well. The farms sound wonderful – I’m so excited for break now! I’ve emailed a few of the ones that stood out to me as really cool, and I can’t wait to hear back!
Okay, so speech tournament and WWOOF. That’s two great things today, but that’s not all.

When I was getting ready to check into hostel tonight, the teacher who coordinates link parents stopped me. Link parents are kind of like a host family. We live in hostel, but it’s kind of a home away from home you can go to for weekends, breaks, and whenever you need a home other than the dorms. Anyways, I’d registered for a link family A REALLY LONG TIME AGO, and was getting kind of frustrated that everyone else was getting them, and I wasn’t.

 NO LONGER! She found me a link family! Well, not so much a link family as a link grandma. She’s this seventy-five year old woman living in a rondoval (a fancy word for the circle huts with grass roofs) near Mbabane. She does karate and goes mountain climbing, and is self-described as really weird. In essence, she sounds like the perfect link parent EVER for me. I’m so excited! I haven’t met her yet, but I’m going to get in touch with her sometime next week.
I COULDN’T BE HAPPIER! Won the national public speaking tournament, getting once step closer to having plans for the month-long break, and got a link family! LIFE IS SO GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment