Saturday, March 17, 2012

International Night Pic and UWC Interview

Here's a picture from International Night last night!

AND MY UWC INTERVIEW WAS TODAY! It went really, really well. Regardless of what happens as far as acceptances (even though I definitely want to get accepted :D), it was really interesting to sit around for a day with a bunch of awesome people and talk about the world and the schools. I don't want to say any specifics about what we did, because I have no idea who reads this and I don't want to give anything away that would ruin the fun. So I'll just talk about stuff that should only apply for our event.

There were 15 applicants at the interview, along with three selection committee members and eleven or twelve alumni. Everyone was really cool, and we all got along really well. There were more girls than guys, but  from what I've heard, that's standard for exchange program type things. Anyways, everyone was really excited, and we all sat around and talked to the alumni all morning, while they pulled us out one-by-one for individual interviews. It was really great to be able to hear from so many different alumni, from a few different schools. There were alumni from American West (USA), Mahindra (India), Li Po Chun (Hong Kong), and Atlantic (Wales). I kind of wished that there had been someone from Red Cross Nordic (Norway) or Waterford Kamhlaba (Swaziland), but it makes sense that there simply aren't alumni of every school hanging around in Madison. It was really great to be able to talk with those who were there.

[ACTIVITY INFORMATION OF AWESOMENESS: CENSORED FOR THE SAKE OF PEOPLE WITH INTERVIEWS IN THE NEXT COUPLE WEEKS :D]

That afternoon, our parents came and picked us up, and we all left. At least before the interview, I felt like I could still do something, but now it's all out of my hands. In some ways, way less stressful, and yet in some ways, more stressful than ever. Still really excited and hopeful though :)

From here, they do another few weekends of interviews in different cities, and then the selection committee meets up the weekend of the 21st of April, and they essentially just sit down and pick. They send us results later that week, so for now, I've just got a lot of waiting to do. I should be hearing about NSLI-Y rather soon, but that's another story altogether. Lots of stress, but good stress.

I'm so giddy from this whole day - it just put me in a really good, excited, I-can't-believe-I-have-a-50-50-chance-of-attending-this-school mood. It's a pretty great mood to be in :)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! , I´d just like to know, if you could tell wha the interview was like. Questions, disscussions topics etc. I want to apply next year too and some extra inform. would be really helpful. Thanks a lot. There are not already next interviwes ,I mean at this time, right ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Zuzana, that's great that you're applying next year, and I'm sorry but I really don't want to tell too much about the interview. First, the specific things you disucss are probably going to be very, very different from year to year, as they are current events. Second, for activities and games, you'll have a much better time if you discover them for yourself. It's one of those "eureka" moments, when you realize what the point of the game was.

    For the application process, you have to apply through your national committee, which is specific to your country. I'm from the USA, and the USA national committee accepts applications in the fall/early winter, and conducts interviews in the spring, with acceptances sent out in the next couple weeks. For some other countries the process starts earlier or later, so just contact your national committee and they'll describe it to you.

    Good luck applying, I hope you can make it in!

    ReplyDelete