Saturday, March 31, 2012

NSLI-Y Morocco 2012

I've been accepted to NSLI-Y to Morocco with Legacy International... as an alternate.

It's kind of like a waitlist, being an alternate. I get to go if someone else drops out. Actually, all four of us that applied after going to Jordan are all alternates for it.

It stinks for three reasons. First, somebody has to drop out for me to go. Which leaves me in the awkward position of hoping somebody can't go - which I hate, because I want everyone in the entire world to be able to do NSLI-Y and see how amazing it is. Secondly, with four of us as alternates for the exact same program, we're competing against each other. Which I suppose we have been doing the entire time, but it's worse now. Finally, there's a chance I might not find out for another month and a half, which is simply hard to wait for.

But it's good, I suppose. I haven't been rejected, and there's still a chance I might go. A lot of alternates get accepted, it's not like it's an entirely lost cause. And I'm definitely thankful for the opportunity to go again, but it's still frustrating. I appreciate everything that NSLI-Y has already given me though.

Well, I guess I'll be spending all day today trying to seek out summer programs that aren't really expensive, whether it ends up being STARTALK or working at a Girl Scout Camp, or whatever else comes up. And I'm definitely still hoping (and dying so badly to hear from) the UWCs. I get nervous just thinking about it!

It's strange now, looking back from the first post on this blog, about having been given the chance to study abroad for the summer, and now being in the other position - waiting for someone else to have to drop out so that I can go. It's strange to hear everyone who has been accepted say where they're going, and with what program, for what language. I love it, don't get me wrong, but it's strange. Because they're such amazing people, and I don't want any of them to have to miss out on this chance. But I definitely want to be able to go again as well. I'm not sure what to think about all of this. I'm not devastated or anything, as there's still a chance, and I already had my free study abroad for one summer, but I'm definitely not really happy either. I'm not quite sure what to think.

Regardless, NSLI-Y definitely started something for me as far as international studies goes, and even if this one summer doesn't work out like I had wished, it's definitely not the end. I'm still reaching for the UWCs, and hopefully later a whole other list of magical things... NYU Abu Dhabi, Peace Corps, Doctors Without Borders, CLS, and so on and so forth. And while NSLI-Y is still up in the air, that list makes me smile anyways :)

No comments:

Post a Comment