Monday, April 2, 2012

Writer's Week!

Every year our school has this thing called Writer's Week, where every period for a week they have professional writers and such come in and give presentations, and then one student work read aloud per period. So, tomorrow, first period, I'm reading one of my pieces aloud! Fun time, except that they read my piece and scheduled me for fiction day.

It's not fiction.

It's a descriptive essay about life in Jordan. I've had so many people ask me whether it was a massive desert or a war zone, or somewhere in between, so I figured this would be a good chance to present a piece that just shows daily life, and get people to understand that WHOA, it's not that different from the USA. People go to school, go to work, eat, sleep, live, and so on and so forth. And I come up with this great plan about teaching people things, and sneaking culture lessons into Writer's Week, and I was all excited, and then I saw when they had scheduled me.

Fiction day. Aghh... why does everyone assume things like this are far-away, made-up, fairy tales?!

Anyways, I'm rather excited for any chance to get to talk about Jordan to a large group of people. Which means that I'm pretty excited for this :)

(edit) April 3, 2012: Most people, even after hearing it, thought it was fiction. Such is life...

No comments:

Post a Comment