Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Fashion Rules

In my school, we have a really relaxed dress code. While I tend to stick to sweatshirts and t-shirts, jeans and basketball shorts, people can wear pretty much whatever they want Skirts fall high above the knees, and the collars of shirts are low. Straps are thin, and fabric is sheer. Sometimes, especially near the end of the year, the guys like to "hoss-cut" their shirts, cutting off the sleeves of their t-shirts so that the isn't anything left on the sides of the shirts, just leaving a piece of fabric with a hole for the head.

And so I consider my dress to be pretty modest. But for this trip, we'll be wearing long pants and long sleeves the whole time. So I've spent a lot of time in thrift stores this week, trying to find clothes that fit those requirements. I've figured out that it's really hard to find clothes around here that fit the requirement of covering up that much skin, so clothes are ending up layering, with a long sleeve t-shirt on the bottom, and then I can wear whatever shirt on top. It's going to be hot.

As far as pants, I just got some light khaki and 'travel' pants, and a floor length peasant skirt. That part was so much easier than shirts.

Then, I went and got a couple scarfs that are big enough to work as head scarves if I need to. I don't know if my host family is going to be more comfortable if I wear one, but I know that I'm going to need one at  least a couple times, so I got some.

It's weird to think that maybe my normal, rather conservative clothes here might be considered quite revealing in Jordan, it's weird to think about. I wonder what they'd think about the girls in the mini-skirts and tube tops. It's not even worth thinking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment